Form validation engine 2.0 will be live soon

by Cedric Dugas on January 4, 2011

I will be updating the validation engine to version 2.0 this week, you can have a preview of the beast here. This version is a complete rewrite of the actual code, and mostly all api’s had changes, so if your upgrading, you better have a good look at the documentation (see readme).

The rewrite was done by Olivier Refalo, I wanted to do a rewrite for some times but a lack of time and passion about this stopped me. The script was near 3 years old and while I was happy with it, to stay in a “modern” javascript world it needed significant changes.

The core of the library stayed the same, but what is wrapping is a lot better, Olivier also did a nice rewrite of the ajax validation function. I am really happy on how it turned out.

The merge should be done by the end of the week, I will also link to a legacy api and I will add the api page to the 1.7.3 bundle, so don’t worry about loosing the old documentation.

Hello Cedric,
Thank you for your works. I can’t wait for the Form validation engine 2.0 !
Should I use the oldest version for my website or shoul I be waiting for the upcoming release ?

Nino (Toulouse, FR)

by Nino on January 5, 2011 at 8:41 am. Reply #

Depend,

You can use 1.7.3 it is stable and fully featured,
The basic use will be really not far from being the same

the 2.0 will be still new at release, we may have some bugs at first,

but you can use the 2.0 beta now if you want and just update after too..

by Cedric Dugas on January 5, 2011 at 9:08 am. Reply #

Hello everyone,

Ok, it’s on my website and it works perfectly ! Thnx again Cedric, c’est très sympa de ta part ;-)

I can’t wait for the upcoming version !

I’m wondering… The textes warnings are displayed at the very right of the missing areas, is there a way i could put them on the left sides ?

Sorry, I’ve checked everywhere… Didn’t find a way

by Nino on January 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm. Reply #

组件使用简单,效果也不错,非常期待2.0版!

by 王伟哥 on January 5, 2011 at 10:06 pm. Reply #

I stumbled upon your form validation and love it. I am new to js and jQuery. One question though, in the event that a user presses a “Cancel” button, how do I turn off the validation so when the window/div hides, the warnings do not show?

by Mike on January 6, 2011 at 10:02 am. Reply #

Look in the api for closeprompt

by admin on January 6, 2011 at 10:29 am. Reply #

Thanks, I found it but am having trouble implementing it. Do you have a working example of how it is used somewhere I can look at? I am new to jQuery.

by Mike on January 6, 2011 at 11:37 am. Reply #

Nevermind, I found it by looking at the source for your demo…
$.validationEngine.closePrompt(‘.formError’,true);

I was using the class name for the inputs that were being validated… oops.

Nice plugin.

Mike

by Mike on January 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm. Reply #

Hi Cedric,

Thx for this wonderfull piece of art! I love it!
The only thing (not working for me) is the minCheckbox option. I used your exemple :

but when you check the $_POST array you will only get the last item check, not all the check item. Ex.: if you check 1 and 3 you should get value 5 and 9 but you will only get 9

Array
[group1] => 9

if I used group[] as name and id it will simply bypass the formcheck. Any idea how to fix it?

Thx in advance!

by Martin on January 7, 2011 at 12:19 am. Reply #

I just want to know that can i use your validation engine to validate input type file and only want to upload image eg. .jpg, .png, .gif. if it is possible please tell me how. I have gone through your down loadable example but unable to make it possible. You can mail me also if possible

by nabaraj on January 7, 2011 at 6:25 am. Reply #

Hi, Cedric, love your validation engine, it’s very well done and well build.
I have some doughs about how to validate directly from javascript (in older version, i could do like this: $.validationEngine.loadValidation(“#date”), but i don’t know how to do it in this new version. Thanks for everything

by Hugo Pereira on January 10, 2011 at 7:58 am. Reply #

Your right Hugo, this is missing,
I will be integrating it before launching the new version
Thanks for the comment

@nabaraj no this is not supported

by Cedric Dugas on January 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm. Reply #

hey cedric,

i had some trouble with getting the new version to work.
the many problem was that all old valdation rules are broken. Its due to the fact that in the new version “real” regexp are used for the custom validation rules and not any more strings.

but still awesome work!

tr.matic

by traedamatic on January 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm. Reply #

hi!
i use your form and it works very well but i got a problem. i load my form using a xmlhttprequest method to get informations from my database. i full the form correctly. when i submit, the validation doesn’t see my datas and i can’t send the form. where i have made a mistake?

by cyril on January 13, 2011 at 11:58 am. Reply #

@traedamatic yeah updating from 1.7 will not be as easy as I would like it to be unfortunately

@cyril sorry without seeing the code its hard to know what you did wrong.

by Cedric Dugas on January 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm. Reply #

Hi Cedric

I love the form validator, but I have 2 quick questions:

1) I’m using the blur event trigger. Is it possible to show a tick image if the field passes the validation
2) The comments section was closed on the old page. Have you got the link for the forum

Thanks
Mark

by Mark on January 15, 2011 at 4:59 am. Reply #

Such a great script, BUT with a big problem…

I tried ver 1.7.3 with success in my html page, EXCEPT for the textarea in html form. My textarea is formatted with “Web based rich text editor” , and I need to use 2 classes as follow;

The class tinycme is the class to embed rich text editor to the text area, with this used, validation NEVER works. Somehow TINYCME class prevent the validation to work.

I tried many other javascript based rich text scripts, but ALL FAILS, validation scipt does not work with them.

Does anyone suggest something ?? any experience or clue ??

Thanks
Merih Akca
merih@merihnet.com

by Merih Akca on January 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm. Reply #

The link for the forum is http://validationengine.vanillaforums.com/

@Merik, Not surprising, for various reasons we do not validate hidden field, you would need to modify the engine to do that, or simply validate this on the backend

I will close the comments, please use the forum

by Cedric Dugas on January 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm. Reply #

Wonderful script – it really saved my butt! Quick question – what and where do I edit (if possible) to show only the first error after the user clicks ’submit’?

Thanks!

by Audrey on March 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm. Reply #

I would like to thanks for sharing this stuff

by praca maturalna on March 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm. Reply #

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

by Pokrowce Samochodowe Allegro on January 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm. Reply #